Sports News

X reacts to Man Utd’s limp and lifeless defeat at Newcastle

Manchester United’s fine run of Premier League form came to a disappointing end with a 1-0 loss at Newcastle United.

Anthony Gordon’s second-half goal was all that separated them on the scoreline, but the Magpies dominated the Red Devils from the off and probably should have won by more.

Man Utd’s preparations were disrupted by their flight up to Tyneside being cancelled on Saturday morning due to adverse weather conditions. Instead, Erik ten Hag and his charges made their way to Newcastle with a three-hour coach trip.

When team news was announced an hour before kick-off, there were two notable selections for Man Utd – Luke Shaw was starting at centre-back, while Anthony Martial came in for Rasmus Hojlund.

Newcastle, predictably, controlled the early stages of the game, penning Man Utd in and creating several chances.

After cheaply conceding two free-kicks against Galatasaray on Saturday, no one would have blamed Andre Onana had Kieran Trippier’s effort gone in just before the break, with his set piece thumping the crossbar.

Man Utd mercifully got into half-time on level terms. Somehow.

Within ten minutes of the restart, Newcastle went ahead when Trippier’s cross was converted at the back-post by Gordon.

Fingers were pointed at Aaron Wan-Bissaka, who allowed Gordon a free run into the six-yard box.

Martial and Marcus Rashford failed to impress throughout – both were hooked on the hour mark, with Hojlund and Antony taking to the pitch.

Newcastle were in control for much of the contest, but a late injury to Nick Pope saw Martin Dubravka thrown into the mix and nerves started to jangle a little.

Shortly after, Man Utd found the net through Antony – but his volley took a touch off Harry Maguire, who was standing in an offside position.

Even after nine minutes of added time, that was as close as Man Utd came to snatching a point, with Newcastle holding on to secure a hard-earned win.


Source link